In the search to find a drug rehab, one of the most common questions is: “What am I allowed to bring to rehab?”
It’s completely reasonable to ask this. At inpatient drug rehab centers, you won’t have the same freedom that you’re used to. There is a good reason for this: you need to be in a safe and structured environment.
So what are the items you’re not allowed to bring to rehab?
What You Are and Aren’t Allowed to Bring to Rehab
All drug rehab centers are different, but there are certain things you will never be allowed to bring to rehab. Others may or may not be allowed, depending on where you go when you find a drug rehab.
Not Allowed to Bring to Rehab
- Drugs and/or alcohol
- Drug paraphernalia (e.g. needles, pipes, etc)
- Guns, knives, or any other weapons
- Pornography and sexually explicit material
- Inappropriate or drug-related books, movies, clothing, etc.
- Playing cards and/or gambling materials
Allowed to Bring to Rehab, but Restricted
Certain things you may be able to bring, but you will not be able to use them. Other items will require you to earn the privilege to use them.
- Laptops and/or tablets
- iPods and other musical devices
- Video games
- Cell phone
- Musical instruments
- Wallet and credit card
- Car, motorcycle, any other transportation
Allowed to Bring to Rehab
- Books (appropriate)
- Clothing (appropriate)
- Personal hygiene (e.g. toothbrush, shaving cream, etc.)
- Anything recovery-related
What Is Already Provided For You
- Cleaning supplies
- Bed sheets
- Pets, animals – Most drug rehabs will not allow you to bring any pets, but there are a few that may.
- Lighters and tobacco products – Most addiction treatment centers allow you to smoke in designated smoking areas, but chewing tobacco is mostly prohibited. However, more and more treatment centers are banning any tobacco product.
And we can’t forget one important thing you need to bring to rehab: an honest desire to get better.
Not only are you allowed to bring this to rehab; you must bring to rehab.
Without this, everything else is secondary. It doesn’t matter if you are in a luxury treatment center or a state-run free treatment facility. Without the will and desire to get clean, you won’t get clean.
Need Addiction Treatment? Call Us
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction, the time to get up and change your life is now. Drug Treatment Center Finder can help you find a drug rehab that will give you the resources to live life in recovery and success. Call our 24-hour helpline at (855) 619-8070 and one our addiction specialists will guide you toward the next chapter of your life.