The Detox From Heroin
If there is one thing that people know about addiction, it is that heroin is incredibly addictive and extremely hard to quit. In fact, many heroin addicts fear the rehabilitation process more than they fear to continue to use the drug because they believe in their heart of hearts that the detox from heroin will be more painful than continuing to use the drug.
Although the detox from heroin and withdrawal process is certainly incredibly painful and difficult, there is no reason why any addict should allow fear of the process to prevent them from seeking treatment. In fact, due to advances in medicine, the withdrawal process is no longer as difficult as it once was.
Heroin Withdrawal: What It Looks Like
The complete detox from heroin typically lasts one to two weeks, and it is best if it occurs under medical supervision. If you are hoping to quit heroin, here is what you can expect to experience:
- Within 8 hours of taking your last dose of the drug, you can expect to begin feeling the symptoms of withdrawal.
- These symptoms will “peak” within a few days and last one to two weeks in total.
- You may feel nauseous or just generally ill. This is because your body became used to living with the drug in its system, and it is relearning how to function without it.
- You may spike a fever. Again, this is completely normal and results from your immune system righting itself in the absence of the drug.
- You may experience intense cravings for the drug. This is why it is particularly important that you detox from heroin under medical supervision. Many addicts do not make it through the withdrawal process and end up accidentally overdosing when they take too much of the drug to make the withdrawal symptoms go away.
- Your doctor may prescribe you a benzodiazepine or other medicine to help make the withdrawal symptoms easier. Again, this is between you and your doctor, and you should never try to self-medicate to make the withdrawal process easier.
The detox from heroin is scary and painful, but ultimately it will be well worth it. If you have been battling a heroin addiction, you have the right to get the help you need. Contact us at Drug Treatment Center Finder today and let us connect you with the help you need! 855-619-8070